St John Episcopal Church, Bridgeport
1926 Austin IV/78 ranks
St. John’s Episcopal Church is the oldest Christian congregation in the City of Bridgeport. Originally founded in 1738 in the village of Stratfield. Today, St. John’s is proudly a multi-cultural, multi-racial, multi-lingual Christian congregation where all of God’s children are welcome.
In 1883, St. John’s completed construction of its fourth structure, a gorgeous neo-Gothic church designed by the same architects who build St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City. The congregation included a fair share of the wealthy, prominent, manufacturing and banking families of Bridgeport in its heyday: the Wheelers, the Burroughs, the Barnums, the Reads, all leaving their mark on St. John’s and on Bridgeport.